This kale came in a local organic produce box along with a few Meyer lemons. The remaining ingredients I already had, so this recipe was a breeze. I managed to construct it quickly before my kids had a play date. It was a delicious lunch and provided me the strength I needed!
- 2 cups salted water
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 bunch kale, washed and chopped into 1″ lengths
- 1 Meyer lemon, zested and juiced
- 2 scallions, minced
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta (optional)
- salt and pepper (to taste)
Allow: 20-25 minutes
1. Bring water to a boil in a covered pot. Add the quinoa and cover. Let simmer for 10 minutes, then top with kale and re-cover. Simmer another 5 minutes. Turn off heat and allow to steam for 5 more minutes.
2. While the quinoa is cooking, take a large serving bowl and combine half of the lemon juice (reserving the other half), all of the lemon zest, scallions, olive, pine nuts, and feta (optional).
3. Check the quinoa and kale when the cooking time has completed. The water should have absorbed. The quinoa should be tender but firm. (If quinoa is still a little too firm, you can steam a bit longer and add more water if needed). When the quinoa and kale are done, toss to combine with other ingredients and season with salt and pepper. Add the remaining lemon juice and any additional feta now to taste.
I found this recipe at www.timptations.com. They have a ton of fantastic healthy recipes for food and smoothies.